Friday, July 29, 2011

A new theory

I spent yesterday re-interviewing the people of Haverhill who witnessed Maura outside her vehicle moments after the crash as well as the people who responded to the accident. I'll be posting a lot of new info about the crash (it did not happen as reported) and the moments surrounding it in the next week.

For now, I will say this. I no longer like the theory that she may have checked into a hotel before the crash. I agree with Fred at this point, that she was on her way to Bartlett. I think her plan was to stay a night or two. I also believe she left on foot shortly after the accident and continued East down 112, where she was seen by Rick Forcier about a half hour later near the intersection of 116.

If this is what she did, it increases the time she was alone. The probability that a bad guy happened upon her then is not so astronomical anymore. It's about 16 miles from the scene of the accident to the next town, Lincoln. At this point, I think she was picked up somewhere in the quiet distance between.


  1. Interesting.
    I find your theory quite plausible.
    However, we then have to question the tracking dogs who according to the known information followed Maura´s scent from the site of her car wreck to the intersection of Rte 112 and Bradley Hill Road.
    This would indicate that Maura was likely picked up - voluntarily or not - at or very near the point where the tracker dogs lost her scent.
    I personally do not put too much faith in Mr Forcier´s supposed observation.
    He might have made it up (for whatever reason) or the person he observed (if true) may not necessarily have been Maura.
    Yes, trackers dogs are not always 100% correct and can make "mistakes", but in my mind the assumption must be that Maura likely got into a car at or near the Rte 112/Bradley Hill Road intersection.
    The only way I could see Maura having been running near the Rte 112/Rte 116 intersection would be a rather fanciful one:
    That she jumped out of a vehicle in order to flee a threatening situation.

  2. I was under the impression that the bus driver who interacted with the individual that was in Maura's vehicle, moved to Florida. I didn't realize other individuals saw her as well.

  3. In response to Anonymous 2:26 PM...

    The bus driver, Butch Atwood, did move to Florida and has since passed away.

    A number of people saw her, per news articles, including some of Butch's neighbors and people driving by. I don't know this for a fact, but, in addition, it was reported in various articles that a Cottage Hospital worker saw her; one recent article stated that a woman driving from Loon Mountain saw Maura too.

    If any of this is wrong, someone please correct me!

    1. Doesn't this bus driver seem like a potential suspect?

  4. My theory: Maura had been drinking when the accident occurred. She refused help because she feared getting the police involved, who likely would have tested her for alcohol consumption. Not wanting to add a DUI charge to the list of troubles that included two auto accidents in three days, she chose to leave the scene on foot. Somewhere along the road, she was likely picked up by someone who was a dangerous person.

    Louis Friend

  5. As a distance runner, she would have been very comfortable running regardless of whether she had running shoes on or not. She would likely have run rather than walked as it was easy for her and allowed her to cover more distance in a shorter time span. If she had a good clue of where she was on her "map" she would likley have continued on rather than tracking back knowing that in 15 miles or so she would get to a town. A mediocre runner would cover that distance in 2.5 hours. Take into account that somone who is a runner doesn't see that as an inconvenience but as an opportunity to "get a good run in"

  6. I know I'm way late to this post, but I've been going through old ones before the long-awaited and imminent next update.

    Yes, the distance she would have had does add to the likelihood that she was picked up. But I feel that it adds astronomically to the likelihood that she simply died of exposure. She most likely had been drinking and wanted to avoid being caught given the crash. She most likely would have ran and ran to the east considering that the area she had driven through immediately after the crash is actually quite thick with houses.

    I doubt that she was dressed well to be outdoors in the cold weather, likely wearing cotton, which traps sweat and notoriously contributes to hypothermia. IIRC, the largest-radius search from the crash site was 5 miles, which she would have passed within 45 minutes. This probably not far enough for her to have died of hypothermia within that radius since it was only about 32 degrees. It is however, far enough for her to have crossed over the Wild Ammonoosuc on 112 (~3.5 miles E of the crash site), which is important because at that bridge, 112 is north of this river and the networks of roads and trails is much less dense north of the river.

    When the cold finally caught up with her, I believe she ran away from the highway, judgement impaired from alcohol and hypothermia, and died in some seldom-trafficked area. She may have perceived that a police car was coming and wanted to hide, she may have just wanted to rest for a few minute or she may have thought of any other distortedly-thought-up reason, curled up and succumbed.

  7. If she was going straight to Bartlett, WHY was she all the way in Haverhill?? It makes no sense, that would have been (round trip) 3 hours out of her way...

  8. If she was trying to avoid the police, she wouldn't have stuck to the roads. I really think she panicked, was drinking so wasn't thinking clearly and hoofed it in to the woods. I truly think she died from exposure and her remains eaten and scattered by wildlife. In some cases it's taken decades to find remains in the forest.